- We don’t ask to be born, but some of us get used to the perks. The rest of us struggle.
- At the core of sociability is a vasty silence, a deafening hollow, implacable loss.
- Some weave a tapestry of consolation. Others construct a bubble of denial in which they bounce, until it – and their hearts – break.
- Food gives life purpose. It furnishes our hearts, minds and families with consolation: psychic glue.
- Art ought to be about looking at life and death more closely, but is an alibi for ignoring them.
- People talk about genre. What they mean is that they’ve lost touch with reality and run out of ideas.
- Truths are what we look for every day.
- Love is what defines the distance between people. To love is to be a satellite in orbit.
- School teaches you to follow instructions. Education is about working around them.